Translate

Thursday, April 27, 2023

Volunteer Appreciation Month: Crystal Gordon

If your health or career keeps you from being able to volunteer in person, we have plenty of virtual opportunities! Just ask Crystal Gordon, our Red Cross Region Disaster Casework Lead. “I got diagnosed on my 31st birthday in 2009 with Multiple Sclerosis… When I got my health straightened out, my friend pulled me into [volunteering with Red Cross]. She said ‘I think this would be a good fit. You don’t have to go anywhere; you can do it from home and a computer,” said Crystal.

Crystal has a bachelor’s degree in Social Work from Eastern Kentucky University. Her friend knew her skills would come in handy. She began volunteering in 2016 when Louisiana was getting overwhelmed with hurricanes and dangerous weather. “The Red Cross needed virtual casework workers. I went through the training,” said Crystal. She then started doing casework for the Red Cross Kentucky Region. “I started out helping people after home fires. Then I moved up to casework supervisor… I was the supervisor for the Louisville area.”

Crystal has been working to build a robust casework team ever since. “I have a wonderful casework team. We have strong support throughout the region. That makes a world of difference,” said Crystal. Where Crystal needs it, they cover for her. “On the days where the weather is going crazy, I know I’m going to be more susceptible to pain. [The team] understands. They step up and they help,” said Crystal.

She has trained her team to listen closely for the needs of families after a tragedy. “I try to be upbeat and encourage them to do what they can to help themselves. Some families say, ‘I don’t know where to start.’ You give them a starting point and a focus of what they can do. It helps them pull out of that overwhelming devastation mindset,” said Crystal. Crystal’s goal is to connect families after a disaster with financial assistance and getting a roof over their head.

“I’ve made people cry happy tears. I try to go above and beyond of what I can do. I try to get them the extra funding if it’s there. That’s the greatest feeling in the world,” said Crystal. “I’m there in their worst moment of their life... Sometimes I feel helpless, but I can try to be there for them. Try to get them some type of help. In that perspective, it makes me feel good. Most people can’t do that,” she said.

Crystal believes volunteering is a truly lifechanging thing. “I think it’s important to volunteer because it’s a different feeling… You can’t put words to it. The gratification and appreciation in a family’s voice after you help them is hard to describe. If more people volunteered, they would find a balance in their busy lives.”

In her free time, Crystal loves connecting with nature, reading, and spending time with her family. Crystal and her husband have been married for over 25 years. Her son, Austin, is getting married next year and they are excited to welcome Erin to their family. Crystal has 4 dogs and 2 cats and has been babysitting for a local family for 5 years.

Thank you, Crystal! Your work in Kentucky has helped families pick up the pieces of their home and rebuild.

Learn more about becoming a Red Cross volunteer at redcross.org/volunteertoday.

No comments:

Post a Comment