Translate

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Volunteer Highlight - Priscilla Johnson

By Kevin Sandell, American Red Cross communications volunteer

Over her seven year period volunteering with the American Red Cross, Priscilla Johnson seems to have done it all. She has served in media relations, biomedical services, a community volunteer lead and government liaison, caseworker, and with the Disaster Cycle Services. The work, she says, gives her the opportunity to strengthen ties and help vulnerable populations.

“It’s so satisfying helping those vulnerable people and families,” Priscilla said. “My volunteering gives me the opportunity to make new acquaintances, learn new skills, strengthen ties to our beloved community, and broadens my network to people of common interest.”

The Lexington, Kentucky native, who serves with the Bluegrass Area Chapter under the American Red Cross Kentucky Region, said many people believe her many jobs with the Red Cross are paid positions.

“Most folks think it’s a paid opportunity job and not a volunteer, because I give it my heart and 100% commitment,” she said. 

The Red Cross does a good job of treating her with dignity and recognizing and awarding her volunteer work, she says. She was inspired to serve with the Red Cross after her brother started working with the Red Cross Wheels Service to drive patients to and from their medical appointments. Recently diagnosed with cancer, he used the opportunity to keep his mind busy and distracted from his diagnosis. Although her brother eventually succumbed to cancer, Priscilla said the Red Cross “helped prolong [his] life,” as he loved serving other patients as a Red Cross volunteer. 

“[It] makes me tear up every time I think of this opportunity he was given,” Priscilla said.  

The personal connection to the Red Cross means a lot for Priscilla. 

“I have a strong passion for the Red Cross because I believe that my volunteering can continue to make positive impact on the community and around the world while also gaining valuable experience and skills,” she said. “The personal connection and passion for the cause affords me the eagerness to contribute and keep coming back.”

Serving with the Red Cross is important for others to consider because it “truly provides the sense of purpose and teaches valuable skills,”  and gets people out of their comfort zones, she said. “I'm a people person and I know I can sleep good at night knowing I tried to help someone.”


No comments:

Post a Comment