Translate

Thursday, January 11, 2024

35 Years of Service: Tammy Ritchie

Tammy with her grandchild
You can’t mention the Red Cross Blood Services in Kentucky without thinking about Tammy Ritchie. In many ways, the Red Cross and Tammy have grown up together. Tammy started with us as in her early 20’s. Her coworkers have seen her during times of milestones and celebrations; and grief and tragedies. We watched Tammy help her daughter, Shelby, through her first pregnancy and birth. We saw her elated when her son, Brandon, married his perfect match. We helped start the relationship with her best friend, Keith Wedding. He was a valued team member for 20 years before he passed suddenly in 2019. We supported her through mourning when her parents passed away within a few years of each other.

Our story began with Tammy in 1988. “I came to give blood for my dad. He needed open heart surgery… They asked for all his kids to come and donate blood for him; anyone that was his type. It was the first time I ever donated,” said Tammy. The nurse on staff asked what Tammy did for work. At that point, she was working at Jewish Hospital. The nurse encouraged her to come to Red Cross and she agreed. After her experience with her dad, she became a regular blood donor.

“I started out as a phlebotomist on the collections team and drew blood. I was in that position for about a year. I came to the Donor Resources Department and ran the call center… From there, I came into the role I’m in now, as an Account Manager,” said Tammy. Her job is to go out into the community and set up blood drives with churches, community leaders, businesses, etc. and educate about the need for blood.

Tammy with her husband
and grandchildren
Unfortunately, Tammy also knows what it’s like to be on the other side of donating blood. She had a scary morning after recovering from a routine surgery. “I woke up one morning fatigued and lifeless… I was a direct admit in the hospital after my doctor saw me. My hemoglobin was low. Because I worked for the Red Cross, I knew there was a need for blood, and I was nervous… Since we are on a national system for blood, we got the blood there in time. The blood was the medicine I needed,” Tammy reflected. She later found out she has a rare blood disease that destroys her blood cells.

It’s been 35 years, and Tammy is still a pillar for us. “I can go to bed and put my head on my pillow and say: I helped save lives today,” she said. As for her team? They consider her a compassionate and loving coworker. “She’s like our work mom. She’s a great team player and she is always there when we need her,” said Brooke Lee, Account Manager.

“Tammy is the epitome of historical expertise for our team. Every organization needs that person who brings knowledge of the legacy created. Tammy is that for us and she sets the standard high. She is also a kind and empathetic person,” said Pam Greer-Ullrich, Account Manager. Tammy views her team as incredible, and she loves the supportive environment. “We cover for each other, everything is focused on our hospital partners and meeting their patient’s needs. That is our job every day,” she said.

Her mission is to let people know the ways we save lives. “The Red Cross is called upon during times of disaster. We have a wonderful relationship with the military. We are all hands-on deck when the community needs blood,” said Tammy.

No comments:

Post a Comment