Translate

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Help Restock Hospital Shelves: Reg Morris


Reg Morris
Reg is a Red Cross Bluegrass Area Chapter board member and blood donor. Read more of his story and why he is grateful for those who donate blood each and every day.

"Over the past 50 years, I have donated blood numerous times - never thinking that I would ever need blood myself. That all changed before a Red Cross board meeting in August 2023. I started feeling lightheaded and weak, and my blood pressure started dropping. EMS took me to University of Kentucky Emergency Hospital, where it was discovered I had a gastric artery emptying blood into my stomach.

I was in critical condition from the massive blood loss. They started pumping blood and plasma into me, put me in an induced coma, and managed to stop the major leak. As they continued to monitor me, my blood pressure and hemoglobin counts still kept dropping, which required me to continue to receive transfusions.  

After several scopes and procedures, they were finally able to locate and stop two other pseudo-aneurysms in my upper stomach. Finally, after 10 days in ICU and 3.5 weeks in the hospital, 16 pints of blood and 5 units of plasma, I was able to go home. There is no question that the blood that I received saved my life, and I am forever grateful to the Red Cross and those who donate their blood and time to this essential mission."

We are experiencing an emergency blood shortage. Donors of all types are encouraged to make an appointment at a donor center near you. Help patients like Reg by visiting redcrossblood.org

No comments:

Post a Comment