Translate

Thursday, February 15, 2024

Sean Brown - National Phlebotomists Recognition Week

Sean Brown is one of our lead technicians and has been on our team for 2 years. An A+ blood donor since 2018, he is proud of the work we do. “It keeps me going because I know that there are people that are in need and I can make a difference by coming into work and taking blood donations,” said Sean.

It’s a priority for us to embody inclusion in our work and in the community. Sean is transgender and has felt accepted with his coworkers. “The Red Cross has been one of the best places I have worked since coming out. They have provided a welcoming environment and have done everything in their power to help me feel comfortable,” said Sean. “Certain jobs wouldn’t let me have the correct name on my badge due to paperwork, but the Red Cross has put in the effort to where I can live as my authentic self on and off the clock.”

Sean is seeing the positive changes with the Individual Donor Assessment (IDA) screening. Under new FDA guidelines, donors who were previously ineligible due to their sexual orientation may now be eligible to donate blood.

“I was very proud [when IDA was initiated]. In my community, multiple people have talked about how they would like to donate blood, but the [regulation] would not allow them… As soon as it got lifted, I was able to let a lot of people in my close circle know. Now we have multiple forever donors since the change went into action,” said Sean.

Sean’s favorite memory is working the John Hardin High School blood drive. He previously went to school there and enjoyed seeing the teachers work so hard to make the blood drive a success. “It was fun seeing kids I went to school with and the teachers who wanted to make a difference,” he said.

Tammy Ritchie is an expert biomedical account manager and has complimented Sean’s ability to connect with donors. “Sean’s customer service is outstanding. He always makes donors feel comfortable, and they continue to come back,” said Tammy.

In his personal life, Sean enjoys playing video games. He plays all The Sims life simulation games. We are grateful for the work Sean does! #NationalPhlebotomistRecognitionWeek

No comments:

Post a Comment