Translate

Friday, March 22, 2024

A masterclass on how to live: Lori Medley

Lori at a volunteer appreciation event
If you’ve had the privilege to meet Lori Medley, you know the feeling of tenderness and care that she exudes. An employee for 35 years, she’s built her career on modeling trust and passion. “Lori is one of the most incredible women I have ever met. She has given so much to the Red Cross and the communities we serve. She has always been a positive leader, a constant inspiration and someone you can always go to for advice. Lori’s leadership skills encompass honesty and integrity- a true servant leader. It has been an honor and privilege to work with her… I can now call her a lifetime friend and I’m so grateful,” said Tammy Ritchie, biomedical account manager who has also been with our region for 35 years.

Lori, 1990
Lori began her Red Cross journey teaching CPR and first aid as a volunteer. She moved into an employee role coordinating CPR volunteers and classes. “I thought to myself, maybe I’ll do this for a little while, never dreaming I would be here for a long time,” said Lori. She has experience supporting multiple lines of service, working as a field services fundraiser for a few years before becoming the director for health and safety. “With health and safety, we were the largest trainer of the nursing assistant program in the state. We started the first aid station program and led a collection of preparedness classes,” she said. 

Lori was in the biomedical department for nine years as the donor recruitment director. She was a pivotal part of changing the culture. “When I came into the role, it was about making goal and that was it. The personal and individualized piece was missing. We shifted to make it about the people in the hospital. We had to be responsible and do what was right for them. Following through on our commitments with those blood drives. I’m proud of that change,” she said.

Lori and the DRD team

Currently, Lori serves as our Regional Volunteer Services Officer. “You must lead by example. I want to be in locked arms with my team. If they are boots on the ground, I’m there. That’s how I work,” said Lori. “I feel like I’ve learned so much about life from this organization. The volunteers have taught me how to live. I’m blessed because I’m surrounded by the best of the best. That’s how I feel.”

Lori shared about the women in her life who have inspired her, one of them being Madeline Abramson. “I learned strategic thinking and adaptability from Madeline. She is such a strong leader and does it with grace and polish. There were many times that I would walk away from her thinking, you know what, she challenged me, and I felt uncomfortable. But I needed it. I needed to think differently and change my perspective. As a woman, I look up to her poise.”

In her free time, Lori enjoys gardening, reading historical fiction, and traveling. She has a dog named Pep who she says is “aptly named- because she is peppy and brings me so much joy.” #WomensHistoryMonth


Lori and the volunteer services team, 2024


No comments:

Post a Comment