Translate

Friday, March 8, 2024

Pam Greer-Ullrich on Soul-Searching and Women in the Workplace

Raise your hand if you remember the times when workplace dress codes meant women couldn’t wear pant suits. Pam Greer-Ullrich has experienced the evolution of women empowerment in the office. “When I worked at Norton Healthcare, it wasn’t until 1992 that I could wear slacks. You wore a dress or dress skirt, with panty hose,” she said. The changes didn’t stop there. “The language has changed. Things are more gender neutral. Everyone became actors instead of saying actress for women. It’s been amazing to see,” said Pam.

Pam received a diploma in medical assisting at Spencerian College early in her career. She went on to earn her Bachelor of Arts at the University of Louisville (UofL) and Master of Arts in Business at Webster University. She worked for a pediatric surgeon at UofL and eventually moved over to Norton Healthcare. She quickly found a love for communications when she moved into the public relations department at Norton and met Charlotte Tharp.

Charlotte was one of Pam’s mentors- and a woman she hopes to emulate to this day. “She taught me hard work and to continue the learning process. She was also someone that made me realize that it was okay if I chose not to have children,” said Pam. She has a stepson with her husband, Mark, but chose not to birth children. 

She went on to reflect on the societal stigma that all women should have kids, saying, “Some circles that you are in, the women look at you funny if you say you chose not to have kids. I’ve always admired women who have children, and I would hope that they gave me the same respect. I love children… That just wasn’t my future, there were other things I wanted.”

Pam was at Norton for 19 years and loved it. When the 2009 recession dismantled many families, she found herself unemployed and questioning her ability. “It was a tough time,” she said. “I had to go back to what I was interested in. Several things interest me in life- healthcare and faith being two of them.” Pam moved into a career with the Presbyterian Foundation managing external relations.

In 2019, Pam joined our team as an Account Manager within biomedical services. “I thought to myself, what better way to get back into healthcare? I started donating blood again. I’ve given 21 units since 2019,” she said. Pam gives back by managing community relationships and ensuring patients in the hospital receive the blood they need. She’s been awarded with the President’s Club in 2020 and 2023 for outstanding collaboration and community service.

It's been full circle for Pam, as she now works with UofL and Norton to host blood drives. She is hoping to retire in the next few years and wants her career to reflect one of compassion and care. “I want to always love like my mother did. She was a strong-willed person,” said Pam. She hopes that the future is bright for young aspiring women, saying, “I still look for the day when we have a female president. I hope to see that in my lifetime.”

Pam loves being around the college kids at UofL and speaking with them. “Being able to be around the young people makes a difference. It helps keep your mind going. You must listen to them,” she said. She’s proud of her work at Red Cross. “I learned that there are other organizations that take blood donations. But we are the only ones who also service the military and help in other ways. My father was in the Airforce. My husband was in the Army. That assistance is pivotal. And they are there when the house is on fire. For me, they are still the only place that I would ever donate blood.” Pam has been married to Mark for 36 years and loves to shop, sit on her patio, attend UofL games with friends, and spend time with her dog, Chloe.











No comments:

Post a Comment