Translate

Thursday, March 14, 2024

My Red Cross Story: Debbie Ranier

Debbie Ranier started her journey with the Red Cross as a volunteer in 2013. “I held a seat on the board of directors, was a member of the board recruitment and development committee and was also a community volunteer leader.” She is now our Executive Director for the Eastern Kentucky Chapter. “I was a volunteer for four years before interviewing for the position in November 2017. I have now been on staff for six and a half years and love everything about the position.”

“Knowing in some small way I am providing hope to folks in their darkest hour is the most rewarding part of my job. Also, working with volunteers who give so much of themselves every day to ensure people’s lives are a little easier following a disaster.”

One of Debbie’s favorite memories was giving blood alongside a volunteer who had never given before and was a little anxious. “It was rewarding being able to comfort the volunteer and see them so humbled and honored following their donation.”

Debbie chose to become involved with the Red Cross because of the impact the brand and mission have as being one of the most iconic and historical nonprofits. “When I was growing up, I experienced bad flooding in my county and the Red Cross was there, certainly left an impression on me. So, when I was in a place I could give back I reached out.” Debbie is proud to be involved with the Red Cross and its mission and sees how much work is done for families every day who lose everything to fire or other disasters.

Debbie’s passion to ensure people are having their needs met following a disaster is evident with her servant’s heart. She strives to keep personal and professional goals at the forefront. “A personal goal is I am a Christian and my faith in Jesus is very important to me. I am on a journey to learn how to pray more effectively and take better care of myself/health. A professional goal is to always try to get “inside” the mission as much as possible to remind myself why and how important my job is and to continue to strive to develop a strong board of directors and find new volunteers and donors daily.”

Outside of work Debbie enjoys to workout, hike, read and travel. A fun fact about Debbie is her birthday is July 4th and her initials are DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution), which she says was not planned. We are grateful to people like Debbie who embodies the values and mission of the Red Cross. #WomensHistoryMonth


No comments:

Post a Comment