Translate

Friday, August 12, 2022

Breathitt County Woman Finds Joy Amid Tragedy

Joyce Ann Hensley is from Breathitt County where her home was dismantled during the Eastern Kentucky floods. Last week she sought shelter at the Wolfe County High School Red Cross shelter. Joyce Ann reflected on the loss she has experienced, saying “It’s destroyed me. You can’t even walk into my trailer. Everything is muddy.”


Like many of us, Joyce Ann has sentimental items in her home. “I had some Barneys like him (pictured) I wanted to try to get. I would love to get my movies and CD’s back. I have a lot of favorite movies,” she said. Joyce Ann said her family was relieved to learn that she and her husband were alive. Many of the residents in Eastern Kentucky endured power outages which resulted in delays to speak with family.

Joyce Ann is still managing to smile and be kind to others despite what happened to her. “The Red Cross has done good with me,” said Joyce Ann. “They have been very nice to me. This right here, a roof over my head and food to eat.” She also had her prescriptions replaced by our Red Cross Disaster Health Services nurse.

Two weeks after deadly flooding ripped through Kentucky, some 400 trained Red Cross disaster workers continue to work around the clock to provide a safe place to stay, food to eat, critical relief supplies and emotional support for those affected by this tragedy. Visit redcross.org to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment