Translate

Friday, August 12, 2022

Terre Shannon, Red Cross Disaster Health Services Volunteer


An essential part of Red Cross disaster work is the health services team. Terre Shannon is a part of our Disaster Health Services team providing medical necessities to those impacted by floods. Terre began volunteering with Red Cross by accident in 1994.

There was an earthquake in California. I decided to take a donation to the office. Next thing I know, a TV station has the camera on me and asks how long I’ve been volunteering. I said I don’t think I’m with them- I just came to drop off a check. The Red Cross worker came up and said yes she is- she’s a Red Crosser!” explained Terre. 

Terre assisted residents at the Wolfe County High School Red Cross shelter. She explained she helps with injuries, illnesses, wounds, and medications.


“We get their medications that they lost and connect with the pharmacies to replace them,” said Terre. Multiple shelter residents had experienced cuts, bruising and headaches among other issues. Terre expressed appreciation for the shelter residents, saying “Everybody here has been wonderful. They have gone above and beyond. They jump right in to help each other and that helps the medical team.” 


During the December western Kentucky tornados, Terre was deployed to assist with health services. She remembers one woman she helped who was trapped under rubble. The woman was rescued and had bruises all over her. “I asked her, what can I do for you? And she said, ‘I’d really like a shower’ and I was thinking: how am I going to get her in the shower? I don’t want to further injure her. I held her up in the shower because she couldn’t stand. We both cried and she said,please stay with me don’t go. I told her I had to go sleep but I will be back. I came back the next morning and had breakfast with her. She was so thankful someone could be there for her in that moment.” 


Giving back is a natural response for Terre. “I love helping people. Whenever I can help, I can. Because I would want the same for my family,” said Terre.


Learn more about becoming a Red Cross volunteer at redcross.org/volunteer 

No comments:

Post a Comment